Friday, May 27, 2011

Rick Ross Puts Wale Up On Game, "I Never Knew How To Get Lost In Music"

Maybach Music Group's Wale has opened up about what his recent time under Rick Ross' wing has provided him including a refreshened look at the rap game and new approach to writing rhymes.
Wale said since signing to MMG earlier this year, his studio grind has vastly evolved.
"I never knew how to get lost in music. I never knew how to just wake up, smoke a J, and play music all day," Wale explained when asked what he has learned from Ross. "I do that now. When I recorded [my 2009 debut] Attention Deficit, I treated the studio like it was a 9-5. I walked in there with my briefcase--which was my book bag--with my music, some energy drinks, and some weed. I come in at 11 and I clocked out at five no matter what I got done. Now, there's times where I left the studio at nine in the morning after I went in at six the night before." (Complex)
In March, Ross likened Wale's creativity and emcee skills to Grammy-winning rapper Kanye West.
"After spending months of my summer working with Kanye, I learned and seen so many different visions and ideas come to light. I was there for 'Flashing Lights', when it was actually titled another title that me and Kanye went back and forth about. And when I think about Wale, I think about Kanye. And the kind of rhymes Wale has been laying down the last few months, since we been in the studio, I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a lot of similarities as far as the pictures that he paints," the Bawse continued. "Of course, Kanye is one of the greats of our time, but I see that same potential in Wale." (MTV)
Late last year, Ross also highlighted Wale's music hunger and grind.
"Wale is a hustler," Ross said in an interview. "I feel he's one record away from being the next n*gga. He's just a naturally fly n*gga. Slick talking n*gga. That's right up my alley. I just think that comradery, riding with Rozay, it'll mean that much more. I feel he's one record away. As well as Meek Millz." (The Source)
This week, Maybach Music Group dropped their debut compilation album, Self Made Volume 1.
Compilation albums have earned a reputation for having only a couple of songs that are worth a listen. Unfortunately, Maybach Music Group's debut album, "Self Made Vol. 1," helps solidify that view. It's the label's first compilation album, starring one of hip-hop's best in Rick Ross, alongside Maybach's newly signed rappers Wale, Meek Mill, Pill and singer Teedra Moses. The burly and bearded Ross shines like expected through much of the 15-track album, but he doesn't completely overshadow the lyrically gifted Wale and Moses. (ABC News)

No comments:

Post a Comment