Sunday, May 22, 2011

Universal Motown Prez Sylvia Rhone Packs Bags, Mysteriously Leaves Post

Universal Motown music executive Sylvia Rhone has reportedly decided to leave her post at the record label after nearly a decade at the same label home to Lil Wayne and Drake.
Details on her decision to leave Universal Motown are still developing.
A source close to Sylvia Rhone has confirmed to XXLMag.com that the Universal Motown President has left her post. Since 2004, Rhone has been the head of the popular record label, but just last year rumors began to circulate about her exit. With her contract being up in a year, it's uncertain who will replace Rhone at the time. What is known is that her longtime mentor, Doug Morris, who was the previous UMG Chairman and CEO, is now headed to rival Sony Music; Lucian Grainge took over Morris' position in March. (XXL Mag)
Last year, Soulja Boy protege JBar talked to SOHH and killed Rhone's speculated "bad boss" image.
"I met with Sylvia Rhone, like two days ago," JBar told SOHH March 2010. "We were just talking about details on my album, like how far done am I with my album, like who I wanted to work with, like, do I need any help for anything, just stuff like that. She's just checking in on me. And then we were talking about the video, we're gonna shoot my video [this] week, on the 5th and 6th [of March]. I'm ready for that. She cool to me. She ain't seem stuck up to me. She's nice." (SOHH)
In the past, Young Money's Drake has hinted at his issues with Rhone.
"I went through Universal Republic because I don't f*ck with Motown," he explained to the magazine. "At all." Drake has spoken out about his personal beef with Sylvia Rhone the president of Motown Records and the executive vice president of Universal Records -- the parent label to mentor Lil Wayne's Young Money imprint - on record before. On 'Say What's Real,' a track from his critically-acclaimed mixtape So Far Gone he spit: "I've always been something that these labels can't buy/especially if they trying to take a piece of my soul/and Sylvia be telling Tez/D*mn, Drake fly/and he just be like, 'silly motherf*cka I know'" (The FADER)
However, Drizzy later apologized for the remarks made toward Rhone.
"I can definitely say for me, for furthering the negativity, I can definitely say I apologize. I don't know her personally to discredit her character. It's not the right thing to do. I was looking for an opportunity recently to apologize for how vicious I've been. Not to say I negate my feelings... I still feel strongly about it. But I'm a person that usually handles things with much more tact." (MTV)

No comments:

Post a Comment