Friday, December 30, 2011

"I Don't Want To Be A Babysitter & Have To Tell Another Grown Man What To Do"

With the transition of rap stars like Jay-Z and Rick Ross as CEOs of their own record labels, SOHH previously hit up Houston rapper Paul Wall to find out if he would ever add an executive role to his resume. 

Admitting the thought has crossed his mind, Paul stated that realizing the amount of responsibility a label exec has to take on killed the idea from blossoming.
"I thought about it man, but it seems like CEOs, A&Rs and managers are kind of like babysitters and I would hate to have that responsibility," Paul told SOHH when asked about considering an executive career. "[Because] for one, to hold another person's career [in my hands], I don't want to steer somebody in the wrong direction. I don't want to f*ck up their career. I see how it is with most artists. With most artists, you have to babysit them. So I don't want to be a babysitter and have to tell another grown man what to do." (SOHH)
Wall also imagined the never-ending expectations artists would have for him.
"A lot of times with artists, it seems like if you're a CEO or manager and you put your all into somebody, a lot of artists appreciate the hard work you do," Paul added. "They feel like whatever you do, they feel like they expect it and you owe it to them. No matter how much money you spend on them, as soon as you stop spending money, they ain't f*cking with you anymore and I just don't want to get into that. A lot of times you show love and you show love on a regular basis and they just start expecting it and thinking that they deserve it and that you owe them and the love you're giving them. If I did [do the executive thing], it would only be for my own music, me and my friends or if I was really trying to help somebody out. But it's too much of a time investment and too much to ask for. I ain't trying to babysit no artists." (SOHH)
Recently, Jay-Z admitted being the Roc Nation CEO is similar to looking after children.
"I think running a label is a bit like having kids," Hov told MTV News while in New York to promote two charitable Carnegie Hall concerts in February. The Roc Nation CEO's answer came in response to criticism that he could have done more to endorse J. Cole, who dropped his debut, Cole Word: The Sideline Story, in September. "When you know someone needs more help, you help them," Jigga said. "When you see that someone can make it on their own ... you see Kanye or J. Cole, you see that sort of talent -- you let that talent be. You let that talent find its way." (MTV)
In August, super producer No I.D. transitioned from beatmaker to Def Jam's Vice President.
"I'm (now) executive VP of Def Jam," the producer announced. "I'm going to keep on doing what I'm doing and take it to another level. No I.D. has worked with heavyweights such Jay-Z, Kanye West and Rihanna and said that he hopes to keep finding talent and making music. "Def Jam is a cultural staple," No I.D. said. "It's not just a label, it's part of the culture that I came up in and that I've been involved with for 20 years. It's very important that the next generation of executives grab it by the horns and keep it on track as it grows." (Billboard Biz)
 




No comments:

Post a Comment