Friday, December 30, 2011

Matisyahu Bans Fuzzy Wuzzy Beard Questions, "It's Not Like His Bald Head & New Outlook On Life Would Fly Under The Radar"

After Jewish reggae artist Matisyahu recently shocked the Internet world by shaving his trademark beard, he is reportedly banning media outlets from addressing his recent style change in his interviews.

According to the Broward Palm Beach New Times, Matis' camp specifically informed them they could not pose questions surrounding his former facial hair.
It's not like his bald head and new outlook on life would fly under the radar of his 1,374,146 Twitter followers or the vulture-like entertainment media. So naturally, in anticipation of his upcoming show, County Grind was eager to ask the artist about his recent change of philosophy. Instead, we got an email from Matisyahu's management saying that although we were approved for an interview, the rapper was "NOT answering any question[s] about his recent decision to shave, or his change in religious status." Okay. (Kind of like when Erykah Badu's people nixed any "Window Seat" video talk.) To make matters more questionable, the responses we received from Matisyahu -- the interview was done via email as the singer was "on vocal rest" -- were, in a word, curt. (Broward Palm Beach New Times)
A couple weeks ago, Matis issued a statement describing his new look.
"This morning I posted a photo of myself on Twitter. No more Chassidic reggae superstar. Sorry folks, all you get is me...no alias. When I started becoming religious 10 years ago it was a very natural and organic process. It was my choice. My journey to discover my roots and explore Jewish spirituality--not through books but through real life. At a certain point I felt the need to submit to a higher level of religiosity...to move away from my intuition and to accept an ultimate truth. I felt that in order to become a good person I needed rules--lots of them--or else I would somehow fall apart. I am reclaiming myself. Trusting my goodness and my divine mission. Get ready for an amazing year filled with music of rebirth. And for those concerned with my naked face, don't worry...you haven't seen the last of my facial hair. [sic]" (Matisyahu World)
The veteran reggae artist's new appearance hit the Internet on December 13th.
Orthodox Jew rapper Matisyahu took a razor blade to the face this week ... and shaved off his trademark beard ... or so it seems. Matisyahu just posted the shorn pics of himself on his Twitter page ... along with the message, "At the break of day I look for you at sunrise ... When the tide comes in I lose my disguise." (TMZ)
Last week, Matis released an open apology after attacking a female journalist at a Brooklyn concert.
"@papermagazine @rebeccasmeyne sorry about last night.I totally snapped.I wouldn't call it a kick, more like stepping into the crowd.," he tweeted December 22nd.
"@papermagazine @rebeccasmeyne and being that you've shot so many shows you should know how distracting a huge flash in your face is."
"@papermagazine @rebeccasmeyne seemed like you were there everywhere I turned with that flash. Next time be more sensitive to the performer." (Matisyahu's Twitter)

No comments:

Post a Comment