Friday, September 30, 2011

Kreayshawn Pencils In Debut Deadline, "I Don't Want To Be Known Just For 'Gucci Gucci' "

West Coast rap newcomer Kreayshawn is hoping to send fans into 2012 with her album in their hands, as she's announced her plan to drop it by the end of this year.
Along with giving a projected end of the year release date, Kreay said she did not envision a surplus of guest features.
The artist now has a month off to finish her album. She said: "It's going to be done by the end of the year, there will be a whole bunch of crazy sounds. I'm a queen of mixing up genres. "I don't want to be known just for Gucci Gucci. I want to establish myself as an artist. Save any collaborations with other artists for the mixtape. When asked about her ambitions, she said: "Kreayshawn is definitely forming into a brand. "I want to branch off into clothing, more music videos, lots of creative thinking. I want to do a book, a movie about my life." (BBC News)
Last June, Kreay discussed her motivation for signing a record deal with Columbia.
"Columbia was the best because they were like, 'We want to do exactly what you've been doing.' I've been directing music videos, so they're like, 'We want you to keep doing that.' I do a little graphic design, and they had me make my logo. The music that I'm making -- 'Gucci Gucci' -- [is] going to be the single that they push," Kreayshawn explained in an interview. "We never made the ['Gucci Gucci'] video with the intention of anything. We knew it was a great song, we knew that the video [was] going to be dope. We didn't put it out like we knew this was secretly going to launch everything, because everything was organic." (MTV)
Earlier the same week, Kreayshawn issued a formal statement confirming reports of her Columbia deal.
East Oakland native, visual artist, swag assassin, and undercat Kreayshawn (Kray-shawn) has officially signed with Columbia Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment. The 21 year-old will release "Gucci Gucci" via digital retailers on Tuesday, June 14th and prepare her forthcoming full-length debut album, due later this year. Described by GQ Magazine as a "loveable oddball," Kreayshawn says of the new partnership, "I'm excited to work with my new Columbia family. They understand my vision and are going to let me continue everything I've been doing. My hope is to inspire others to be young, wild, and free." (Press Release)
Last week, Kreay said if rap did not pan out she has a few other career options.
"I'm a rapper, I'm a graphic designer director, model, deejay and a professional b*tch snatcher," Kreayshawn said. "There's a lot of people that want to push you down. One, for being a female and one for being white. It's hard but I don't see it like that. In Oakland, that's how you grew up...The best about everything that's going on is I have my head on my shoulders, I know what I want, I know my vision and it's not like I signed this record deal blindly -- whatever happens, happens. I know that I'm a good person and that I'm smart and funny. If the music thing doesn't work out, I'm talented at a million other things." ("Carson Daly")

No comments:

Post a Comment