Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Myspace Co-Founder Defends Ditching Site For Facebook, "Like Most Of You, I Don't Like Using It Anymore"

Myspace co-founder Tom Anderson has broken his silence on no longer owning the mega social networking website and why he feels it has fallen off in recent years.

Writing via his Facebook public wall, Anderson explained his decision to no longer use Myspace.
"People seem very confused why I'm on Facebook," he wrote around mid-September. "I've had a profile since 2005 and a "fan page" since 2009. FB just created a feature where you can "subscribe" to profiles. They asked me if I wanted to convert my "page" into a simpler profile. Complicated? I suppose. Why am I not on MySpace? Because, I left the company in early 2009, and like most of you, I don't like using it anymore.. not a fan of what the new folks have done with MySpace." (Facebook)
Last week, Anderson also explained why Facebook has ultimately won him over.
"FAQ #2: People often ask me what I think of Facebook? Put simply, I love it. Facebook has accomplished what I wanted to accomplish when I started MySpace--that "everyone" would be online, and "everything" online would get more fun & useful because its social. To me, Facebook just keeps getting better & better. Now when they remove that 500 character limit on posting (rumored this week), I'll be able to say much, much more." (Facebook)
Having broken out through Myspace a few years ago, rap duo The Cool Kids' Mikey Rocks recently told SOHH why the site is a wrap.
"That sh*t is over," Cool Kids' Mikey Rocks, sitting next to an agreeing Chuck Inglish, told SOHH. "We got in on the Myspace before News Corp got in on it and sucked the soul out of it. What it was used for was used by us, you know what I'm saying? It was a way to connect music with the rest of the world. We ended up doing shows overseas before we even put out a record thanks to Myspace. Our first packed out show was in Amsterdam and our second packed out show was in the middle of Australia. That just shows you the power of Myspace but it's great because now there won't be another Myspace. They've been trying to figure out how to social network music again." (SOHH)
Although News Corp. purchased Myspace for $580 million in 2005, the company sold it for a fraction of the amount last June.
Myspace was once the Internet's equivalent of the hottest nightclub in town. In its heyday, the world's dominant social network attracted some 3 million bands, 8,000 comedians and countless filmmakers and wannabes who came to see and be seen. Now, Myspace is seemingly no place -- a digital castoff that corporate parent News Corp. sold for $35 million in cash and equity to an Orange County digital media firm specializing in online advertising. That's a fraction of the $580 million that the media giant controlled by Rupert Murdoch paid to acquire the site a scant six years ago, and well shy of its one-time $65-billion valuation. (Los Angeles Times)

No comments:

Post a Comment