Monday, April 11, 2011

Odd Future Tell Labels To Ante Up, "I Always Wanted To Sign To..."


While Interscope may have Tyler's interest, the rap newcomer said he will not compromise the group's creative freedom.
"I always wanted to sign to Interscope when I was a kid because it was the label of Dr. Dre and 50 Cent. I want a boat. I want a Grammy," Tyler said. "But I'd never sign a deal without 100% creative control. You lose a lot when you sign with the major labels. I'd rather be broke than have to rap over the same chord progressions as everyone else." (Los Angeles Times)
Last week, reports claimed Odd Future are being pursued by music moguls, including Jay-Z, Diddy and Interscope's Jimmy Iovine.
Even Sean "Diddy" Combs is bowing to the wild demands of yet-to-be signed, punk-rock- hip-hop supergroup Odd Future. Music honchos including Roc Nation's Jay- Z, SRC's Steve Rifkind and Interscope's Jimmy Iovine have been fighting to sign the band described as an "urban Sex Pistols." The anti-establishment band has been having some fun by asking the bigwigs to meet them on their turf -- the Supreme skateboard shop in Fairfax, Calif. Rifkind, who sources tell us is soon to make a formal offer, managed to get them to his office, but said frontman Tyler the Creator told him: "If you are serious about the meeting, I want Randy's Donuts, swivel chairs and a megaphone." Diddy -- who's said to be "desperate to sign the group to prove that he's onto something hot" -- set up a meeting between Tyler and Justin Bieber after the band demanded he deliver the pint-size pop star. A source said, "Tyler asked Diddy for access to Justin, so he pulled strings." A rep for Odd Future said, "Tyler did meet with Justin, and Diddy helped make it happen." (New York Post)
Tyler recently described his mission to explode onto the mainstream.
"I'm hungry for greatness," Tyler said in an interview. "I want to be great, I want to be an icon. I want when I die, I want people to cry -- I'm hungry for VMA's and Grammy's, that's what I'm hungry for. You know? F*ck this underground bullsh*t...Greatness is a different definition to different people...Greatness if the f*cking song that I wrote last week, somebody might not find that great but it's great to me. And that's all that matters, what the f*ck I think in my head -- Greatness to me is finally getting my video played on MTV. It's on there now and I'm f*cking, I'm happy. I finally got my sh*t on f*cking MTV and some people may think that's selling out or whatever but I don't really give a f*ck. That's f*cking great to me. I'm proud of myself. I've been wanting that since I was seven years old and I finally got that sh*t. Hard works pays the f*ck off." (The Drone)

No comments:

Post a Comment