Monday, October 31, 2011

Soulja Boy Says Stop Stealing His Pretty Boy Swag, "N*ggas Trying To Sound Like Me & Sh*t"

Atlanta rapper Soulja Boy Tell Em is pointing fingers at fellow hip-hop artists taking cues from his music and trying to run with the 21 year-old's style.

Hinting at plans to drop a new album in early 2012, Soulja Boy said he was aware of artists jocking his style.
"Drizzy [Drake]. Me and Drizzy. We definitely going to drop something. Definitely Busta Rhymes, Lil B," Soulja Boy said. "I mean there's artists out there, but its like, sh*t got dry in the last few years. N*ggas be trying to sound like me and sh*t. I listen to a hit, it's like 'Okay it's a hit, but it sounds like me.' ... Every time I do something they copy it," Soulja Boy said of competitors. "I mean its cool, it makes me bigger and sh*t. But it's just like... Once you do so much copying, I can't do me then." (Billboard)
Last November, Soulja Boy's third solo album pushed just over 13,000 copies in its first week.
Rapper Soulja Boy Tell Em's The DeAndre Way also debuted on the chart at No. 90. With seven days down, the rapper's new album has sold 13,400 copies. (SOHH Sales Wrap)
Following the sales, the rapper recently said he contemplated an early hip-hop retirement.
"[I stopped Twittering when my sales came back because] I just needed to take a break. I needed to think about things. I needed to evaluate my camp and what was going on in my circle. I had to talk to my family, the label, and my management. I had a big talk with the big bruh 50 Cent. I'm going to forever thank 50 because he guided me. When I was at my lowest point in my career and I just felt like I ain't really want to do this music no more. I was like, 'Man, I'm still young. I made enough money.' My head was on a whole different radar, but he was like, 'Man, you tripping little bro. You've got to keep it going.'" (Complex)
Last year, the rap millionaire talked about lauging off negative online criticism.
"When I see stuff like that it makes my ego get bigger. Because it's like, d*mn, all these people are focusing on me--whether it's good or it's bad. I know that my music's the sh*t. It's only a certain group of people pushing that negative energy, so for all the other people that's seeing it that f*ck with me, that makes them want to go harder for me. When I see stuff like that, I know it's going to lead all these people to my name, period. It's funny, but at the same time, it's promotion." (VIBE)

No comments:

Post a Comment