Monday, November 28, 2011

"The Biggest Misconception Is That I'm A Gangster"

Rap newcomer A$AP Rocky recently talked about fans' biggest misconceptions of himself and how nice of a guy he really is once you get to know him.

Along with describing his true self, A$AP also briefly revealed his upcoming album will feature guest spots from rappers Schoolboy Q and Bun B.
"The biggest misconception is that I'm a gangster," Rocky said in an interview. "I'm not. At all. I don't want people thinking [I am]. Honestly. I really am [a nice guy]. I'm a good, down to earth dude. ... [My album,] Live. Love. A$AP. ... I got Schoolboy Q, Bun B." (This Is 50)
Recentlly, fellow Harlem, New York rapper Smoke DZA told SOHH he co-signs Rocky's movement.
"You got A$AP Rocky, another kid straight from my hood, where he's amazing and a lot of people really hadn't heard what he has to offer and bring to the table yet. He's starting to really get it going on now. I'm happy for Rocky because he's about to do something that a lot of people didn't see coming. That's one. You got [Flushing, Queens'] Action Bronson. He's classic New York. You got to really listen to this guy. He can really rap. You got Vado. There's a lot of people coming out from New York City that's coming up. It's the new wave of New York and I'm excited to be amongst the elite. I do feel like I'm one of the hottest kids in New York City. I'm about to show and prove." (SOHH)
Earlier this month, A$AP Rocky hit up SOHH to discuss signing a record deal worth to $3 million to Polo Grounds/RCA Records.
"People tend to make a big deal out of everything. I'm gonna be perfectly honest: I been 'hearing' that I'm pretty big. I can go on Twitter and stuff and see that I'm pretty big, but truthfully, I don't know how big I really am yet. You know? Because it's happening to me, I can't really see it like everyone else does. But [being big] is not the most important thing to me at this moment, so I don't stress that. I'd a dope feeling, but I don't know if I'm bigger than I was a week ago." (SOHH)
Following his signing, Polo Grounds President Bryan Leach talked about inking Rocky to his team.
"What he was saying was, when you look at his deal, between the marketing, the promotion, the A&R budget, the advance, the life of the deal--this is what it comes up to," Leach told XXL. "It's no different than an NBA contract if you factor in bonuses. It was definitely a competitive deal, and it was worth every penny, but it wasn't 3 million dollars in his pocket." Though he denied that the deal put three million dollars in Rocky's bank account, Leach wouldn't confirm what the exact number was. "That's putting out his personal business," he said. "It was a competitive deal. I will say that every single label out there was trying to sign the kid, and he took one or two meetings and went with his gut and his heart. It wasn't because of money. It wasn't a big a** bidding war. But it was a competitive deal. It also factors in his A$AP Crew." (XXL Mag)

No comments:

Post a Comment