Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cashis Pops Off Former Drug Addiction, "First Time I Met Eminem, I [Took] A Vial Of 80 Valiums"

Shady Records' Cashis has come clean and revealed his past struggles with drug addiction over the past few years which nearly landed him in prison.
According to Cash, even Shady Records CEO Eminem reached out to him to try to kick the habit.
"First time I met Em, in the studio in Detroit, I had a vial of like 80 Valiums and I popped em all in like a day and a half. He was like "D*mn, dog you might wanna get some help. Let me know, I can help you out, discretely,' " the rapper explained. "I was like 'Nah man. Where I'm from, what would I look like?' I got off it my own, and later on, I found out -- like the rest of the world -- Em was getting off of it. During that time, I just quit talking to everybody dog. I didn't talk to no friends, family." (Baller Status)
After avoiding prison time for a criminal charge, Cash realized his mistakes and aimed to get clean.
"For a minute, I felt like I was untouchable," Cashis added. "I thought, like, I done came from the gutter, came from nothing, I was sleeping on park benches, I done been to jail; I been selling crack, selling dummy bags; all kinds of sh** I got going on, and I was making it just on street sh**, without no legal money. Now that I had finally got into the game, can't nobody touch me. I don't know what the curve ball was, but at that point, instead of me recognizing I was moving too fast, I moved faster 'cause I just took it on the street tip. I caught a gang of cases, and it forced me to be at home for like 7, 8 months. I just stayed at home, I couldn't really go out of my area. That changed my whole sh**." (Baller Status)
Last summer, Eminem said his past drug addiction had a damaging effect on music making.
"I had to learn to write and rap again, and I had to do it sober and 100 percent clean. That didn't feel good at first...I mean it in the literal sense. I actually had to learn how to say my lyrics again -- how to phrase them, make them flow, how to use force so they sounded like I meant them. Rapping wasn't like riding a bike. It was [as much] physical as mental. I was relearning basic motor skills. I couldn't control my hand shakes. I'd get in the [recording] booth and tried to rap, and none of it was clever, none was witty and I wasn't saying it right...It was four or five months after I'd been clean when I started to get a glimmer of my writing skills back. I don't remember what song I was working on specifically, but I do remember getting feeling back in the music. I realized I wanted to do this again." (New York Post)
Outside of drug addiction, Cashis recently spoke on surviving budget cuts and continuing to strive on Shady Records.
"You can get X'd off a label, not because you are wack but just for budget reasons. Thankfully and luckily that didn't happen for me because I keep us relevant with a buzz on the internet and on mixtapes and that's what I do and my job. When Em comes out he makes a big splash. That's a blessing and that's what my job has been. To do whatever it takes to keep us visible, until it's my time to come out. I knew as long as I did my part we were cool." (All Hip Hop)

No comments:

Post a Comment