Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Wale Can't Shake Racial Stereotypes, "We're N*ggas At The End Of The Day, No Matter Where We Go"

Maybach Music Group's Wale has shed light on his personal feelings toward how the black man is treated in America and why despite any amount of success made, a racial stereotype is always applied.
From Wale's perspective, success does not take away from harsh stereotypes.
"We're n*ggas at the end of the day. No matter where we go, no matter if the suit is expensive, that's how they're going to see you regardless. You're a n*gga that can rap. You're a n*gga that can play basketball. You're a n*gga that can patch up a scar. You're still a n*gga. You can be a doctor, but if a doctor got a sweat suit on and go to the ATM, you don't think the white lady in front of him isn't going to hold her purse tight? She doesn't know that what he got in his bank is five times what she got; he's still a n*gga. But that's a whole other conversation." (VIBE)
In 2009, rap mogul Jay-Z appeared on the "Oprah Winfrey Show" and shared his input on racism.
For the music, when you go to a club, there's no white or black club because the music brings everyone together," Hovi told Oprah Winfrey. They're enjoying the same type of music although we're not directly speaking to racism, the music itself is the driving force behind it...It's difficult to teach racism because racism is taught from the home. It's difficult to teach that when someone idolizes Jay-Z or Kanye West, it's difficult to say that person is less than you or different than you when you can relate to their music or their struggle or if you're a fan of their music." ("The Oprah Winfrey Show")
On the flip side, white rapper Yelawolf previously addressed being called out due to his race and profession.
"I still face it at every show, dog. There's always somebody. It never fails, never," Yela said in August 2010. "Until I'm selling out my own shows and I'm going to be demo-ing for somebody. And somebody is not going to like me because I'm a white boy on stage rapping and I look different. That's something I will experience until everybody that came through the door came to see just me. I'm used to it though, when you're traveling with groups, you just have to be prepared to deal with it. Do your best to snap and walk off the stage holding your nuts. Always! That's how you got to be. I grew up in Alabama so I've heard and seen it all. Knowing your talent is probably one of the keys to be successful." (VIBE)
Outside of racial talk, Wale recently credited rap star Rick Ross for inspiring his new studio grind.
"I never knew how to get lost in music. I never knew how to just wake up, smoke a J, and play music all day," Wale explained when asked what he has learned from Ross. "I do that now. When I recorded [my 2009 debut] Attention Deficit, I treated the studio like it was a 9-5. I walked in there with my briefcase--which was my book bag--with my music, some energy drinks, and some weed. I come in at 11 and I clocked out at five no matter what I got done. Now, there's times where I left the studio at nine in the morning after I went in at six the night before." (Complex)

No comments:

Post a Comment