Saturday, June 25, 2011

Common Joins Rick Ross & Curren$y, Inks WMG Deal

Rap veteran Common is set to strengthen the power alongside Rick Ross and Curren$y by officially inking a deal with Warner Music Group.
Confirmation of his new label situation emerged online heading into the weekend.
XXLMag.com has learned that Common has signed to Warner Bros. Records. A source close to the deal has confirmed with us that the Chicago rapper/actor will be releasing his next record on Warner. As of press time a release date is unknown. (XXL Mag)
Last month, Rick Ross defended his decision to bring Maybach Music Group to Warner Bros.
"You know, as a boss you gotta make certain things happen and that's what I was able to do," Ross explained in an interview. "Me, as a solo artist, we're still at Def Jam Records, I have another album or two [to release due to contractual obligation]. But me being an executive, me being a boss, Maybach Music, I had an opportunity to sow my royal oats. We needed a situation that understood that we could make music at a much quicker rate than a lot of people do. And I wanted to put out music at that same rate. I think it's obviously, since we closed the deal, maybe a little more than two months later, here we are today, Self Made in stores. It's constant meetings and discussions and attorney hours. I got great relationships over at Def Jam, so I was pretty much getting my words across. It basically just came down to what was best for Maybach Music and Warner." (RapFix)
With the recent WMG signings, SOHH decided to hit up Curren$y to get his reaction to the new additions.
"I'm f*cking pumped about it," Curren$y told SOHH when asked about being on the same label as Maybach Music and XV. "And they signed [R&B singer] Jill Scott too. So Jill Scott's over here, Rick Ross signed Teedra Moses. She's from New Orleans [like me]. It's crazy. It's great when you need to look for features and you have a pretty steep stable [of Warner Bros. artists]." (SOHH)
Last September, Common announced plans to drop a solo project by the spring.
"I'm working on [a new album] now, I know I said I was working on it before, I was, but then I stopped and did promo for "Just Wright," then stopped and did this TV show and was doing a couple other things that I needed to do. But now I'm focused, and working and I'm really- in all reality, I believe that the new album will come out in the spring. I'm looking at around April or May for the new album. It's called The Believer. I had that title for a while to be honest. The time has come. It's coming." (All Hip Hop)

No comments:

Post a Comment