Saturday, June 25, 2011

Missy Elliott Clears Up Disease Reports, "It Really Hasn't Slowed Me Down"

Rapper Missy Elliott has come forward to clear the air on recent headlines discussing her battle with Graves' disease and how it has not hurt her music career.
Speaking via a statement, Elliott cleared up any misunderstandings initial reports may have created.
"There have been some inaccuracies reported in regards to my diagnosis with Grave's Disease, so I wanted to clear things up. I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease about three years ago but it really hasn't slowed me down at all. I rocked my performance on VH1 Hip Hop Honors' tribute to Timbaland last year. I've written and produced a bunch of Grammy-nominated, #1 hits for artists like Keyshia Cole, Monica and Jasmine Sullivan. I toured the UK, Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia. And on top of all that, I'm working on my new album. I feel great. Under my doctor's supervision, I've been off medication for about a year and I'm completely managing the condition through diet and exercise." (Statement)
Earlier in the week, details of Missy's disease talk on VH1's "Behind the Music" emerged.
According to Brad Abramson, executive producer for Missy's VH1 Behind the Music (premiering June 29) the visionary suffered from painful health problems. "Missy was great and very candid. She talked for the first time about her [near fatal bout with] Graves disease, which she's been battling for the last few years, and spoke in detail about the sexual abuse she experienced as a child." Missy opened up about her fight with the autoimmune disease even more saying: "You live with it the rest of your life. I couldn't write because my nervous system was so bad. I couldn't even use a pen." (VIBE)
She also discusses how difficult it was to complete daily activities.
"I was (driving and) trying to put my foot on the brake, but my leg was jumping. I couldn't keep the brake down and almost crashed... I couldn't write because my nervous system was so bad - I couldn't even use a pen." (PEOPLE)
Graves' disease is associated with the body's metabolism function.
Graves' disease is an autoimmune disorder that leads to overactivity of the thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism). The thyroid gland is an important organ of the endocrine system. It is located in the front of the neck just below the voice box. This gland releases the hormones thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3), which control body metabolism. Controlling metabolism is critical for regulating mood, weight, and mental and physical energy levels. (NCBI)

No comments:

Post a Comment