Sunday, April 22, 2012

Iggy Azalea Credits Late Rap Mogul For Inspiring Rap Career, "Nothing Could Ever Make Me Do That Before"

Grand Hustle's Iggy Azalea recently discussed her love for hip-hop and why a coincidental incident led to her falling in love with the rap game.

According to Iggy, Tupac Shakur's "Baby Don't Cry" sparked a fuse in her head.
"We would go to their house because their parents were the coolest parents [who] let you do whatever you wanted," Iggy said about hanging out with some older local boys. "They played a Tupac song, 'Baby Don't Cry' from the Outlawz. I just love that song. I don't know what it was. It made me go home and type it in and nothing could ever make me do that before. And then that was when I knew I liked rap. I knew I loved rap music, I knew I loved to sing along to the words. It takes a while before you have the guts to put yourself in their shoes and think this is something I could actually do." (Sucker Free)
Back in February, the hip-hop rookie performed a Pac-inspired record.
Australian upstart Iggy Azalea returned to Hollywood for her first live performance in town since she announced plans for her major-label debut, The New Classic, due later this year. Sporting a black Tupac-emblazoned tank top (or was it a bodysuit?) and her signature flying ponytail, Iggy launched into her late-night set at Hollywood's Dim Mak Studios with "Hello", the first track off her buzzy Ignorant Art mixtape. Through a raucous 45-minute set, she managed to throw "Superior P***y" t-shirts -- and cash -- into the crowd, invited fans on-stage for a dance-off, and unveiled a new song, "Picture Me Rollin'". Catch video of her busting out the new Tupac-inspired jam. (Idolator)
A few months ago, Iggy dished out her admiration for 2Pac.
"I used to love 2Pac. I was obsessed with him," Iggy said, "I didn't really love any music until then, I just loved what was on the radio. Then I heard that ['Baby Don't Cry'] song and I don't know what it was about it that made me love it so much." (Complex)
Outside of Shakur talk, she recently discussed restructuring her Interscope Records deal to join Grand Hustle.
"I didn't know I was gonna sign to Grand Hustle," Azalea told MTV News, explaining how she managed to stick with both imprints. "There's no way I thought that would happen. Not because I didn't like them, just because my deal was all sewn up, and I restructured the whole thing." The 21-year-old Australian rapper revealed that Interscope chairman Jimmy Iovine was "cool with it," helping her tailor a new deal that pleased all parties involved. "[Jimmy] likes Tip, and they're good friends, so it worked out," she explained. "But it made everybody so confused, because everyone was like, 'I thought she was signed to Interscope; Grand Hustle is with Atlantic.'" (MTV)
Check out Iggy Azalea's interview below:

No comments:

Post a Comment