Tuesday, April 24, 2012

"I Don't Want To Pretend Like I'm Some Trap Boy Or A Gangster & Thug"

With the success of his new Good Life album charting in the Top 20 last week, SOHH reached out to rapper Trip Lee to find out his reaction to the LP's early chart stride.

Excited about the positive feedback and album sales, Lee said he is most proud to see his hard work continuing to pay off.
"Man, I'm extremely excited, bro," Lee told SOHH when asked about his perception of the positive feedback. "I'm always blown away when I see the response and how much people support the music. I know I work hard and work hard for the music to be good. Even though I am really young, I've been doing this for a minute. This is my fourth solo album and I sometimes forget how young I am. I see other people my age and they're doing their first album. I know it takes a lot of hard work and time to find success in the music industry and I'm willing to put that hard work in. It's good to know when you've been working so hard that it does pay off. I feel very grateful that my music is doing good." (SOHH)
The 24 year-old also addressed being able to enjoy success as a Christian hip-hop star.
"From the very beginning I told myself I wouldn't get into the game and be somebody that I'm not," Trip added. "I don't want to pretend like I'm some trap boy or a gangster and thug. I'm actually a dude whose in love with Jesus. I'm a Christian, I follow God. That's what my life is about. I don't feel any temptation to sugarcoat that. I am who I am and I don't like when people put us in that little box and say we're only Christian rappers that only do Christian hip-hop. Nah, we're rappers and it just so happens we're Christians. We work hard to make good hip-hop music but we're never going to be ashamed to be who we are and pretend like we're not in love with God. We're never going to try and fit in just for the sake of selling units." (SOHH)
Last week, Lee's new solo album easily debuted in the Top 20.
Christian rapper Trip Lee's Good Life enterted the chart at No. 17. After a week on store shelves, his new LP has moved 21,700 units. (SOHH Sales Wrap)
Trip's run in the hip-hop game dates back to the mid-2000's.
Trip Lee is a Christian rapper affiliated with Reach Records who reached the Billboard Top 200 albums chart with his second album, 20/20 (2008). Born and raised in Dallas, he moved from the South to the East Coast to attend Philadelphia Biblical University. He made his full-length album debut in 2006 with If They Only Knew. His second album, 20/20, featured guest features by Reach Records labelmates Lecrae, Tedashii, and Sho Baraka. Not only did it break into the Billboard Top 200, but it also broke into the Top Ten of the Christian albums chart. (All Music)
Check out Trip Lee's "I'm Good" music video below:

No comments:

Post a Comment