Wednesday, July 20, 2011

"Nobody Want To Get In The Motherf*cking Game, But Everyone Wants To Call The F*cking Plays"

Maybach Music Group's Wale recently shared his input on the state of hip-hop and why rap enthusiasts are ultimately hurting the culture by going with whatever is deemed "hot" at the moment.

Wale feels hip-hop heads are no longer paying attention to what a record embodies.
"These quote-unquote 'hip-hop enthusiasts' don't--they getting the game f*cked up now. Everybody's an A&R -- for the world's record label," Wale explained in an interview. "And they signing everybody. YouTube n*ggas, everybody, everything. You not listening. You stopped listening! You used to listen, you stopped. You know why you stopped? Because you became an A&R like everybody else. They stopped listening, they started--. Now everybody sizing up. Nobody want to get in the motherf*cking game, but everyone wants to call the f*cking plays now. Ya'll stop listening." (Culture VI)
The Washington, D.C.-based rapper did give props to artists like Young Guru, Clark Kent and Fabolous for acknowledging his talent and enjoying the music.
"The n*ggas that's listening is Clark Kent, who called me, say 'Man, my n*gga, you killed that". Young Guru to call me. For Fab to say 'Man, you killin that sh*t.' They ain't stop listening. It's the n*ggas with the computers, that sit down there and analyze everything. If you go out and see the world and enjoy the club, and see some women and see some things and read some things, and stop looking at the fact that I'm rhyming over something that might sound like something you heard before and listen to the words, like hip hop used to be -- n*ggas might see something." (Culture VI)
In May, Wale opened up about his time under Rick Ross' wing at Maybach Music.
"I never knew how to get lost in music. I never knew how to just wake up, smoke a J, and play music all day," Wale explained when asked what he has learned from Ross. "I do that now. When I recorded [my 2009 debut] Attention Deficit, I treated the studio like it was a 9-5. I walked in there with my briefcase--which was my book bag--with my music, some energy drinks, and some weed. I come in at 11 and I clocked out at five no matter what I got done. Now, there's times where I left the studio at nine in the morning after I went in at six the night before." (Complex)
In March, Ross likened Wale's creativity and emcee skills to Grammy-winning rapper Kanye West.
"After spending months of my summer working with Kanye, I learned and seen so many different visions and ideas come to light. I was there for 'Flashing Lights', when it was actually titled another title that me and Kanye went back and forth about. And when I think about Wale, I think about Kanye. And the kind of rhymes Wale has been laying down the last few months, since we been in the studio, I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a lot of similarities as far as the pictures that he paints," the Bawse continued. "Of course, Kanye is one of the greats of our time, but I see that same potential in Wale." (MTV)

No comments:

Post a Comment