Friday, March 30, 2012

Lil Kim Breaks Silence On Delayed LP, "Contractually, I Could Not Record Any Music"

Brooklyn rap veteran Lil Kim has finally opened up on why she has yet to put out a full-length studio album since 2005's The Naked Truth, admitting legal issues kept an LP off store shelves.

According to Kim, issues with her label, Atlantic Recordsforced her to search for a way out of her contract nearly 6 years ago.
"When I came home from prison in 2006, I was really unhappy with my label so I wanted to get off, and I didn't get released. I wasn't dropped. I had to pay them. So, at the end of the day, it's like that takes time. For two years, I fought and fought and fought and finally there was a break. During those two years, I did my Hollywood thing, I mean doing reality shows, 'Dancing With The Stars' and all that good stuff. But in-between me doing 'Dancing With The Stars', I struck up another deal. I did a deal with Trackmasters, and it didn't work out, but that took another year or two." (Sucker Free)
She also said a legal situation developed after another deal turned sour with production duo, Trackmasters.
"Contractually, by the courts, I could not record any music. I wasn't supposed to put any music out. Technically Black Friday was a mixtape, so I was able to get away with that. But technically they could have come after me if I were to put out an album," she added. "I couldn't do it. So, this is something that my fans don't know, but now you know. Legally I wasn't allowed or able to do music. And 'til this day I'm not going to say I'm glad that the lawsuit happened with Trackmasters, but it made me more of a business woman." (Sucker Free)
Earlier this year, Kim was spotted showing support for boxer Floyd Mayweather, Jr. following a court hearing.
A judge agreed Friday to postpone a jail sentence against Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a Las Vegas domestic violence case, allowing the undefeated boxer to make a Cinco de Mayo fight against an as-yet unnamed opponent. The ruling by Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa to allow Mayweather to begin his 90-day stint on June 1 came with the fighter's manger and supporters, including rap star Lil' Kim and R&B artist Ray J, in the courtroom as a defence lawyer cited the economic boost that Las Vegas could get from the bout. (Global Toronto)
A few days ago, Kim's new Young Jeezy collaboration, "Keys ot the City," premiered online.
Lil' Kim locks down a collaboration with Young Jeezy on the heavy-hitting "Keys to the City." The Queen Bee previously hinted about the record during her interviews on "RapFix Live" and "106 & Park," describing it "as vintage Kim mixed with the new Kim." Kimmy Blanco spits tough bars ("I got that cocaine flow like Griselda") over a chopped-and-screwed hook, while Jizzle throws some D's on his verse. (Rap-Up)

No comments:

Post a Comment