Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Method Man Reveals His Top Collaborations, "That's Like My All-Time Favorite Right There"

Wu-Tang Clan's Method Man recently discussed his favorite collaborations and why Flipmode Squad leader Busta Rhymes remains on his wishlist of artists to share the microphone with.

Asked to name his favorite collabos outside of Wu, Mef name-dropped Busta along with Redman and singer Mary J. Blige.
"I always wanted to collaborate with Busta, so that's like my all-time favorite right there. You know, Redman, he's considered a brother so I'm not going to even put him in the category. I don't know. I guess Mary," Mef said in an interview. "['All I Need' was classic.] Yeah, she showed the kid love. She definitely did. ... Right now, I'm working on my mix CD and my album. I don't know what label it's going to be on. I think me and Def Jam -- I don't know what they doing over there. I don't know what's going on. Your guess is as good as mine. But I am working." (Global Grind)
Last November, Method Man's "All I Need" demo leaked, featuring a Mary J. Blige-less version of his 1994 hit.
Speaking of demos, here's a recently unearthed gem from Method Man. The folks at 2DopeBoyz have found this early, rough version of the Wu-Tang Clan rapper's "All I Need" off his 1994 debut, Tical. Most of us know it as "I'll Be There for You/You're All I Need to Get By," which was a duet-style single with Mary J. Blige. But here, we're hearing the track without Mary and without Streetlife, who appeared on the album version of "All I Need." Instead of their vocals, we hear foul-mouthed, unidentified women talking all sorts of nasty sh*t. It's kind of hilarious, and who knows where the track would have went if they went with this version. (Prefix Mag)
Years ago, Method Man reflected on his early 1990's days as a rookie emcee.
"I was unfocused," said Meth, who won a Grammy with Mary J. Blige in 1995 for the duet "I'll Be There For You/You're All I Need To Get By." "It was like, ignorance was bliss for me in those years. I didn't know what was at stake when I was going out on the road by myself to promote that first album or when I did that first video 'Bring the Pain.' [I] came to the set dusted. That's why I look crazy -- n----s was high! Not just weed high, but angel dust high. Kids, say no. That sh-- is not for you." (MTV)
Recently, Mef talked about cleaning up his "pothead" image.
"I don't want that every time you hear Method Man's name you associate it with getting high or marijuana because there's so much more to me than that. I'm not actually distancing myself from my marijuana culture people but it's not in the forefront anymore, Method tells VIBE. "I got kids to raise, man. Plus it was never really that bad. It gets comes to a point where no matter where you go they're always thinking you're high. And I'm not always high. I mean right now I'm sober as a priest." (VIBE)

No comments:

Post a Comment