Wednesday, February 29, 2012

"Making Songs Like 'Hands on the Wheel' Is Real Easy"

[SOHH highlights a hot single each week and offers a unique look at the record. After Memphis rapper Don Trip explains his new "Human" anthem, West Coast rhymer Schoolboy Q discusses his work with Harlem's ASAP Rocky.]


The track I did with ASAP is on Habits and Contradictions and it's called "Hands on the Wheel."
By the time my manager Dave was like, "You should put Rocky on it," I had already done like three verses to the song. A light bulb popped in my head and it sort of made sense to put him on there because he fit the track.
For me, making songs like "Hands on the Wheel" is real easy. It's a party song and I can usually get those done in an hour or less. Maybe even 30 minutes. It's the songs on Habits and Contradictions like "My Hating Joint," "Oxy Music," or stuff like "Nightmare of Figg St." that really take a long time to finish. Songs where I show a lot of character are gonna always take longer.
I gotta crazy recording process, man. I need weed of course and backwoods. There's gotta be nobody else in the studio but me. And the craziest thing people might not know is, I don't wear any shoes when I'm recording. Like, it's a habit I guess. I gotta be real comfortable [laughs]. I notice every time I leave the studio with my shoes on, I will never finish the song. To tell you the truth, I finished the whole HNC wearing no shoes [laughs].
Schoolboy Q is an up and coming rapper from Los Angeles, California. Alongside Kendrick Lamar, Ab-Soul and Jay Rock, he is a member of the collective known as 'Black Hippy.' His most recent release, Habits and Contradictions, is available now on iTunes and features The album features a host of rappers including A$AP Rocky, Jhené Aiko, Dom Kennedy, Curren$y, Ab-Soul, Kendrick Lamar, Jay Rock and features production from The Alchemist, Lex Luger, Best Kept Secret, A$AP Ty Beats and more.

(VIA SOHH )

No comments:

Post a Comment