Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Pharrell Gives Scoop On Jay-Z's 'Glory' Tribute, "It Was Important For Him To Stop Everything He Had Going On"

The Neptunes' Pharrell Williams recently spoke on his Blue Ivy Carter tribute record, "Glory," and revealed Jay-Z had the record planned in advance.

According to Williams, they played the waiting game for Blue Ivy's birth last month.
"It was something we had planned before it happened, so we were basically waiting," Pharrell said in an interview. "That was like our nod and homage to when Stevie [Wonder] did it for his baby, Asia [on 'Isn't She Lovely']. And we weren't trying to make the same song at all, it was like we wanted to capture a moment in time to commemorate the birth of his baby. ... I did the same thing with [my baby] Rocket, I'm just more quiet and private about my life. -- He and his beautiful wife, they live a different lifestyle and for him it was important for him to stop everything that he had going on and just sort of make statement to his baby and his wife -- I was honored to be a filmmaker for that beat." (RapFix)
Following the song's release, it made Jay's daughter the youngest person to make it on a Billboard chart.
Blue Ivy Carter, the bundle of joy brought into the world by megastar Beyoncé (with a little help from fellow famous dad Jay-Z) Saturday (Jan. 7), becomes the youngest person ever credited with gracing a Billboard chart, as Jay-Z's newly-recorded studio cut "Glory" -- officially billed as "featuring B.I.C.," an abbreviation of Blue Ivy Carter -- begins on R&B/Hip-Hop Songs at No. 74. (For historical purposes, this week's Billboard charts are dated Jan. 21). (Billboard)
Young Hov's dedication track became the latest in musicians who have penned records in light of their children's births.
Jay-Z's song is the most recent musical tribute to a newborn, but it is by no means the first. Inspired by his daughter Aisha Wonder, Stevie Wonder wrote "Isn't She Lovely" and like Jay-Z, included her crying on the track. Former Beatle John Lennon wrote the song "Beautiful Boy" for his son, Sean. (ABC News)
The record officially premiered online early last month.
"False alarms and false starts/All made better by the sound of your heart/All the pain of the last time/I prayed so hard it was the last time/Your mama said that you danced for her/Did you wiggle your hands for her?/Glory! Glory! Glory! Sorry../Everything that I prayed for/God's gift, I wish I would've prayed more/God makes no mistakes, I made a few/Rough sledding here and there, but I made it through/I wreak havoc on the world, get ready for part 2/A younger, smarter faster me/So a pinch of Hov, a whole glass of BĂ©" ("Glory")

No comments:

Post a Comment