Friday, January 27, 2012

Red Cafe Takes Credit For Inspiring French Montana/Diddy Deal

Bad Boy Records' Red Cafe recently spoke on newly signed labelmate French Montana joining the team and how he put the idea in Diddy's head to give him a shot before the Bronx rapper's recent mainstream explosion.

According to Red, he put Diddy up on French's talents.
"Me and French been rocking for years. I been watching French and French had a plan and he put his plan in motion. And his plan is blossoming now into something that's real beautiful," Red said in an interview. "His grind is impeccable. I respect French totally. I brought the idea to Puff to sign French. I was like 'Yo dog listen, this is my homie and this is what he's doing.' And you know Puff was in L.A. at the time -- and this was before everybody else wanted him. We was like there though. We was like right on the time before anybody else wanted to get down with his movement. I was like 'Yo dog, listen. Open your ears up and focus up on this. This is a dope move.' So I respect that I support French movement." (WGCI)
Recently, Montana talked about bringing New York hip-hop back to the forefront.
"It's been so long for a New York artist to really [have an impact] that it seems like there's been a dark cloud over New York and the East Coast," Montana said in an interview. "It's a blessing that me and other East Coast artists are finally getting our shine again. Artists like Meek Mills (who is from Philadelphia), myself...everybody. We just need more support, that's all. A song like 'Shot Caller' is East Coast...it even has the Lords of the Underground sample from "Funky Child." But it's important that we make sure we also make music for everybody else like I did with "Choppa Choppa Down." (VIBE)
In December, Frenchie announced his new alignment with Bad Boy.
"I really feel real good that's why I kept it here in New York," French explained. "Why would I take my talent to South Beach? When I met with Puff and sat down and really spoke, he told me a couple of things and [he] never lied to me about nothing and always kept his word. It is what it is. It's New York. I want to bring it back to New York." ("106 & Park")
A month prior, reports claimed Montana quietly inked a deal with Puff's label despite offers from rap stars Kanye West and Rick Ross.
I've heard from a few sources that Diddy has managed to sign French Montana to Bad Boy records. I was skeptical at first but that was followed by Diddy being on the, "Shot Caller," remix. I also heard it may be a joint venture with Bad Boy Records and MMG. Would this be a good move for French? (Real Talk NY)

No comments:

Post a Comment