Monday, January 30, 2012

Tyler, The Creator Kicks It W/ Skateboarding Legend

Odd Future's Tyler, the Creator recently chopped it up with legendary skateboarder Tony Hawk and discussed his infatuation with the underground culture.

In addition to discussing his love for skateboarding, Tyler also told Hawk how big of a fan he is of his video game series.
"I did music and then I got into skateboarding because my friends did," Tyler explained. "This is like around Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 around 2002. As corny as that sounds, that's my sh*t. Then from there on, all my friends skate. Yeah. By the way, Tony Hawk Underground is in my top three games. Ever. ... Whenever people use my skateboarding, songs at their f*cking parks and sh*t, I be stoked as f*ck." (RIDE Channel)
Over the fall, Grammy-winning rapper Lil Wayne opened up on his love for the sport.
"I've researched, and I know everything about the culture. I know everything about who's who, what's what, who won what, and who's better than who, and who skates for what team, and I'm into it. I'm into it. And you know what, they respect me a whole lot. Everywhere we go, every city or state we go, we have a skate park booked for after the show. I go there, I skate till about sun-up, and seven times outta ten, there's usually a pro there. Or they're usually connected to some pro or on some pro team. And, you know, we take pictures, we skate, we session together. They respect me so much just musically, without skating, period. A guy told me the other day, he was like, "You know what's so crazy is like, a lot of artists say they skate, or a lotta artists say they pick a skateboard. But, you know, for the best to do it, it makes you a person that skates, it refreshes you, to remember why you picked up a skateboard." (GQ)
A few weeks prior, G-Unit's 50 Cent explained his issues with Weezy taking on skateboarding.
"Yeah, yeah, but you know what's interesting, I was just in Las Vegas, I was performing with this thing with Mountain Dew -- I did write the Lil Wayne line on the actual ['Love, Hate, Love'] song but you know, when I got an issue, it's clarity in it," 50 told Angie Martinez. "I never, I don't really do subliminals. [Did I say his name on the song?] No, I didn't. I'm making references to his actions because I see, within hip-hop culture, I'm watching the artists attempting to be like the audience in order to gain the audience instead of just letting them come to us. That's even why the urban apparrel business is going away. They dress like the skateboarders. If you're wearing skinny jeans, that's 'their' culture. That is like clothes the skateboarders would wear. You see what I'm saying? [Maybe he likes to skateboard?] Yeah, I just don't know gangsters from New Orleans that skateboard. It's gonna get interesting. If you look at it, like, I ran into [rapper] Machine Gun Kelly in Las Vegas while I was out there and -- he's really like a part of that culture. I don't have a problem with Weezy." ("The Angie Martinez Show")
Known throughout the 1990's for his skateboarding prowess, Hawk launched his video game series over a decade ago.
In 1999 Tony teamed up with Activision to create the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater video game franchise. The Tony Hawk video game series became one of the most popular game franchises in history and continues to this day. His life would never be the same. In a stroke of good timing, at the X Games that year, Tony also became the first skateboarder to ever land a 900, a maneuver that had eluded (and occasionally hobbled) him for 10 years . It was one of skating's most gripping moments, playing out in front of a collection of his peers and fans, and on national TV. That exposure, along with his successful video game, helped establish Tony's mainstream celebrity. (Tony Hawk)

No comments:

Post a Comment