Monday, January 30, 2012

Drake Breaks Silence On Common Beef, "That Situation Is Not A 'Hip Hop Moment'"

Young Money's Drake has finally come forward to address the recent war of words between him and rap veteran Common, admitting he has no interest in furthering their feud.

Drizzy said despite its portrayal in the media, he does not see the feud as beneficial to hip-hop.
"No. Because despite how it's been worded by him that situation is not a "hip hop moment" or a "battle for the sake of musical integrity"...it's a ploy for attention around the release of an album. More than anything it was just disappointing cause what kid isn't a fan of what Common has done for our genre. A guy who made such an incredible career for himself based off expressing genuine feelings about life and love is now targeting me for sharing my story." (Nah Right)
Last week, rapper French Montana said Drizzy wanted a physical altercation with Common.
"I think it was over [Serena Williams] or something like that," French said speaking on Drake and Common's feud. "Shout-out to Serena Williams. I'm staying out of that. With them, you've gotta look at it like it's hip-hop, it's competition, it's good for the music. I think Drake wants to fight. Yeah, I think Drake wants to fight. He said he can't wait to run into him. Man, I'm gonna hit him. I'm gonna let him know [we don't want him fighting]. Shout-out to Drake." ("The Angie Martinez Show")
A few days prior, the Chicago-based rap veteran got at Drizzy in a freestyle.
Common keeps his lyrical tiff at bay in the most recent round of subliminal shots against Drake. Common and V-103 held a private playback and Q&A session last night in Atlanta with radio personality Ryan Cameron at Vanquish lounge. As part of the evening's revelry, Cameron held up cue cards with words he wanted Common--always the adept freestyler-- to rap about over "The Light." When a certain Canadian rapper's name was called out, a very dapper Common playfully rapped, "You can ask why, people wanting me to keep dissing Canada Dry/I can't do that," a nod to his Drake name-calling on the "Stay Schemin (Remix)" "I'm talking too long with this amateur guy/ You ain't wettin' nobody n---a, you Canada Dry", Common lashed out in his original diss. (RapFix)
Coincidentally, Common said he had no interest in continuing his battle against Drake a couple weeks ago.
"I don't think I had anything to prove," Common says. "I just felt like somebody stepped and challenged me, so I had to step into the ring. He said some things that I thought were directed at me, so I had to address it back." Now that it's all out in the open, Common is ready to move on. "I feel like I said what I had to say, and I'm just going to let it be at that point," he says. "Now, if something else happens, then I'll just have to act accordingly. But right now, I feel like, man, I said what I needed to say about this situation on record." (Rolling Stone)

No comments:

Post a Comment