Monday, January 30, 2012

Maino Clears Up 'I Still Love You' Lil Kim Hype, "People Are Taking It Way Out Of Context"

Brooklyn rapper Maino has finally opened up on his new "I Still Love You" record which has stirred online speculation suggesting the track is dedicated to fellow New York hip-hop artist Lil Kim.

Acknowleding the online hype, Maino said he used the record to clear up his conscience.
"I think people are taking it way out of context," Maino said in an interview. "You know when you have relationships with certain people, you may have real genuine love for them but you just can't f*ck with them. That's all I was saying. ... I still got love for you, we don't really f*ck with each other but I still got love for you. You know the thing is, I saw the comments, 'Oh Maino's in love with Lil Kim.' They forgot in the song that I said, 'I was your brother.' ... You know when you got love for somebody but you can love them from afar, you want them to do their thing but y'all aren't built for close proximity. That's all." (Rap Radar)
The rapper's new record emerged online last week.
"Everybody knew I took n*ggas to war for you/All the times you said the industry fake don't let it fool me/The jewels that you dropped on the game you used to school me/No plea, took it to trial and then you blew/I rolled with you straight to the jail that's how I do/Kites to the joint expressing how much I love you/Still a Queen even in greens -- Things change then you came home and we moving different/Emotions now getting involved/We in our feelings/Fighting and we arguing sh*t we never used to do/We don't even speak no more/You was claiming that I was using you/I still love you though." ("I Still Love You")
Various websites and bloggers put the puzzle pieces together and suggesting Maino is still stuck on Kim.
Earlier this morning, Maino dropped a heartfelt record from his upcoming mixtape, I Am Who I Am (Jan.26), with DJ Green Lantern. I couldn't but help notice that his first verse sounds like he's talking to Lil Kim. It's been well documented that they once had a relationship. Maino actually did roll with Kim when she had to turn herself in. It was captured on her BET reality show Countdown to Lockdown. (Miss Info TV)
Last September, Maino weighed in on hip-hop beefs including the war of words between Kim and Young Money's Nicki Minaj.
"I think people put too much emphasis on hip-hop beefs" Maino told Sway referencing the Lil Kim/Nicki Minaj flap. "Like, hip-hop beefs and hip-hop battles always had that. It's a part of the culture it's always gonna be artists that don't agree. Ya understand. And you might have to take it to the mic or whatever. As long as it just doesn't get out of hand, you know what I mean. As long as it doesn't end up like 'Pac and [Notorious] B.I.G. [...] I don't think people give us the credit for being as responsible as we are, because I don't think people want it to go that far." (RapFix)

No comments:

Post a Comment